Commonwealth Home Support Programme

Older lady is assisted with shopping

Within the City of Kingston, we offer eligible people aged 65 and over, or those people with a disability, what's known as entry level in-home support services, to retain their independence and live independently in their own homes for as long as they wish to. 

These services are heavily subsidised under the Federal Government's Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) and provide a basic level of support. The support is a pay as you go service where you pay a small amount of money for a service such as light housework. See our care services section for more details of the types of services we offer.

If you require more comprehensive support we also offer Home Care Packages.  

Who do I contact to receive services?

People aged 65 and over 

If you are aged 65 years and over (50 years and over for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people), please contact AccessCare on 1300 819 200. We can then talk you through the process and the next steps.

Or you can contact My Aged Care directly to find out about accessing new services on 1800 200 422 (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm; Saturday 10am to 2pm) or visit

People with a disability under the age of 65

Please call Council on 1300 819 200

TTY (Hearing Impaired):  9581 4506


Interpreters can be provided to assist with translating and ensuring understanding during the assessment process. This is a free service.

How much do I pay?

A nominal fee or client contribution is usually required and is based on your household income. Services, however will never be denied or ceased if you are assessed as being unable to pay. If you are using the volunteer transport a fee applies based on the number of kilometres travelled.

A monthly invoice will be sent for services you have received. You can pay this invoice at the post office or as you would any other household bill. You can also pay via direct debit. 


As soon as possible after receiving a referral, an assessment officer will arrange to come to your home to understand your needs, and decide with you what services might be helpful to assist you to remain at home. 

Our team

Our staff are all highly trained, efficient workers. All staff must have a police clearance certificate to work for the Kingston City Council and a Working with Children Check if applicable. Read more about our team.