Kingston taxi card
Taxi cards are an affordable way for people with difficulties accessing suitable transport to get out and about and visit friends and family, attend social activities, get to medical appointments, or go about your every day activities. This service is available now.
How does it work?
Depending on your individual situation, you may be issued with a taxi card for an agreed amount of trips or you may be offered alternative transport options in the event a taxi card is not issued.
Your taxi card value will be depend on your individual needs and situation. If you are receiving other services such as personal care or cleaning, for example, this may also affect the amount of trips you receive.
Taxi cards are very flexible and can be used for a range of regular activities including shopping, social events, visiting family, going to church and attending appointments. So for example:
- Sarah uses her taxi card to get to and from her local shops to buy groceries twice a week.
- John uses his taxi card to see his sister once a week.
- Iris uses her taxi card to visit her daughter and grandchildren once a week.
- Davis uses his taxi card to attend kidney dialysis appointments.
Taxi cards are not transferable to other people, only you can use them. However, you can have other people in the taxi with you.
What do I need to pay?
- You will need to pay a small amount for the client contribution.
- You will receive a monthly invoice to pay these client contribution costs.
- If your trip cost exceeds the agreed amount in your care plan, you will need to pay the balance to the taxi driver.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for this service you need to:
- Live in one of the following local government areas, Kingston, Port Phillip, Bayside, Glen Eira or Stonnington.
- Be aged over 65
- Not be on a Home Care Package as this is service is funded under basic level care under the Commonwealth Home Support Program.
- Be registered with My Aged Care and assessed as eligible for assistance with transport. To register call 1800 200 422 or call us and we can help you on 1300 819 200.
How do I access this service?
Eligibility is assessed by independent assessment team. Please register with My Aged Care (MAC) to access this service, by calling 1800 200 422
or visit www.myagedcare.gov.au